Commercial Package Policies

Insurance companies selling business insurance offer policies that combine protection
from all major property and liability risks in one package. (They also sell coverages
separately.) One package purchased by small and mid-sized businesses is the business
owners policy (BOP).

Package policies are created for businesses that generally face the same kind and
degree of risk. Larger companies might purchase a commercial package policy or
customize their policies to meet the special risks they face.

BOPs include:
Property insurance for buildings and contents owned by the company -- there are two
different forms, standard and special, which provides more comprehensive coverage.

Business interruption insurance, which covers the loss of income resulting from a fire or
other catastrophe that disrupts the operation of the business. It can also include the
extra expense of operating out of a temporary location.

Liability protection, which covers your company's legal responsibility for the harm it may
cause to others. This harm is a result of things that you and your employees do or fail to
do in your business operations that may cause bodily injury or property damage due to
defective products, faulty installations and errors in services provided.

BOPs do NOT cover professional liability, auto insurance, worker's compensation or
health and disability insurance. You'll need separate insurance policies to cover
professional services, vehicles and your employees.

How can I insure my home-based business?
Let's face it. Launching and running a business takes capital, motivation and yes, even
physical stamina to handle the stress and demands of a new or growing venture. And
it's risky. In fact, one out of every five businesses fails within the first five years of

Handling inventory, scheduling time, purchasing supplies, handling payroll -- there are a
myriad of procedures every home or small business entrepreneur needs to know, but
one of the most critical and often neglected is buying proper insurance coverage.

What would happen if a fire or other disaster destroyed your property, making it
impossible for you to get back to business right away? Would you remember what
property had been destroyed? One way is by taking a complete inventory of all your
personal business property, determining its value, and deciding what's worth insuring.
Having an up-to-date business inventory will help you get your insurance claim settled
faster, verify losses for your business' income tax return and help you purchase the
correct amount of insurance.
Start by making a list of personal business property, describing each item and noting
where you bought it and its make and model. Clip to your list any sales receipts,
purchase contracts, and appraisals you have.

Then there's the question of what types of coverages you'll need. Aside from personal
business property, there is liability insurance, business income, insurance for the
building, boiler and machinery, human failure, employee protection and management
protection, among others. The type of coverage you need depends on a number of
factors including what kind of business you operate.
Jim Rice TOTAL Insurance, Inc.
Commercial Package Policies
Copyright Jimricetotalinsuranceinc, 2012 All rights reserved